Pinoy Cheese Cupcake

Pinoy Cheese Cupcake
Pinoy Cheese Cupcake

This is what the typical neighborhood type of Filipino bakeshops would tout as their "special"kababayan in the sense that it uses cheese. A closer look at the ingredients would indicate that this is basically a muffin topped with grated cheese. Contrary to how the Western cheesecake is, this does not have any form of cream cheese (or anything cheese) in its batter.

This was my favorite muffin in my Tatay's bakery, especially when fresh out of the oven with its crunchy top. Once cooled, I would wrap them individually in small clear plastic bags and seal using the candle (I got proficient at making the seal without actually touching the flame; just the heat, so that the plastic would not have any dark marking as it does when it touches the yellow flame).

Husband had a taste of the batter and thought it tasted like butter cookies. (Hmmmm....maybe I should try making some into drop cookies.) When it was done, I had hubby taste it. His reaction was..."Hmmm, that's good!" Kids' reaction? Same. (gaya-gaya, puto-maya...)

This recipe was adapted from Mrs. Daisy Alonzo's recipe.

Ingredients:
1 bar (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 cans (14 oz each) sweetened condensed milk
3-2/3 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
cheddar cheese, finely grated, for topping

Instructions:
Line 2 muffin pans with paper cups.
Preheat oven to 350 ° F
Mix flour and baking powder well in a bowl.
Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed. Turn speed to slow and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually increase speed to medium and beat well.
Turn speed to slow and slowly add the condensed milk. Beat well on medium speed for about a minute.
Turn to slow again and add the dry ingredients. Increase speed to medium and add oil. Beat well for about another minute. Add vanilla and beat to blend.
Transfer batter to a piping bag and pipe into the muffin cups, leaving about 1/4 inch space at the top.
Top with grated cheese (preferably the orange-colored cheddar cheese).
Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the pans for even baking. (If you want, you may add some more cheese at this point).Bake for another 10 minutes. Enjoy with maple syrup or condensed milk if desired.
Transfer to cooling rack and completely cool before storing in ziploc bags those that you will not be able to consume right away.

UPDATE: This was tried by My Expat Mommy who lives in Qatar and has now included this item in her baked goods that she sells. Her fb page is here.












The original recipe that I got from asiarecipe.com forum was as follows:
Pinoy Cheese Cupcake-Kababayan
(Pinoy Cheese Muffin)
Recipe courtesy of Mrs. Daisy Alonzo
Ingredients:
1 bar butter
4 eggs
100 grams sugar
2 can of condensed milk
15 grams cooking oil
5 grams baking powder
500 grams. all-purpose flour
you will need:
cheese grater
2 ounce paper baking cups
cake mixer, mixing bowl and spatula
Paraan ng pagluluto:
Hiwa-hiwain muna ang butter para madali itong lummbot.
Ilagay ang butter sa isang mixing bowl, ihalo ang asukal at apat na itlog.
Haluin ang mga sangkap na ito sa cake mixer. Gamitin ang pinakamahinang
speed upang hindi tumapon ang butter mixture.
Idagdag na din sa mixture ang dalawang lata ng condensed milk.
Ihinto muna ang mixer.
Pagsamahin naman ang harina at baking powder at saka ihalo sa butter mixture.
Paandarin muli ang mixer sa pinakamahinang speed. Haluing mabuti hanggang sa
maging basa ang mga sangkap.
Ihalo ang 15 grm ng mantika.
Pabilisin ang mixer hanggang maging pino ang sangkap.
Patayin ang mixer, ito na ngayon ang cupcake mixture.
Ihanay ang paper baking cups. Magbuhos ng cupcake mixture sa bawat baking cups
Punuin hanggang ikatlong bahagi ng bawat cups
Lagyan ng grated cheese ang cupcake mixture.
Ipasok sa mainit na oven, ihurno ng mga 30 minuto.
Luto na ang cheese cupcake. Palamigin

Comments

  1. Those look good, manang. I guess condensed milk must give these cupcakes that special flavor. Yesterday, I was at an Arab supermarket and I saw those vanilla bean pods that some western recipes recommend (instead of vanilla extract). Vanilla bean pods would probably add that extra zing to Pinoy baked goods. I ought to try it one day. Those bean pods however cost an arm and a leg.
    Good luck on your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sharon,
    These taste good, but just like how I remember them, they are quite "siksik" and "matigas" when cooled, not cake-like. But my family, even hubby, enjoy them that way, anyway. If I had my way, I would make it softer. I remember my Tatay once experimenting with his cupcakes by adding grated kamoteng-kahoy that he harvested from our own plants at the time. It was only one time that he did so, and I savored E-V-E-R-Y bite of those cupcakes. They were the best cheese cupcakes I have ever tasted...moist and tender with all the flavors of this recipe. So maybe next time I make another batch, I will try incorporating cassava. I do hope hubby and the kids will still like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manang I tried your recipe and it was a hit with my officemates! Even if the last batch I made was over baked for 5 min, the cheese was a bit burnt but the inside was still soft. Thanks for sharing! Now I don't need to buy this at a bakeshop in Pangasinan when I crave for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Anonhymous,
    thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been searching the web for this recipe. Thanks. BTW, have you tried adding mayonnaise to the batter? My friend who is a baker swears to it, makes the cake softer and more moist.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lalaine,
    That's a good idea...I had used a chocolate cake before with a mayonnaise...makes it moisture by adding increased fat (oil) content. It should work...I just wonder how close it will be to the original taste...

    My father at one point experiment by subbing some flour with grated cassava (he dug the tuber of our plant), and to me it was the best batch of cheese cupcake he ever made. I tried doing the same but I did not get the right proportion as it barely added moistness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. manang, i made this today. they look pretty in the tray but when i took them out to transfer to the cooling rack, the sides and bottoms look burnt as in maitim... what did i do wrong? anyway it tastes great... lasang sunog lang ng konti sa ilalim pero ok pa rin. maybe i should lessen the baking time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manang, thank you for the recipe. I have never heard of this kababayan muffins. I'll bake some and let you know the outcome.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manang, thank you! I have been searching for this recipe. Brings back memories too. I am so glad to have stumbled on your blog.
    I didn't feel like using my KitchenAid mixer (tamad kasi maghugas) and I felt like it was too bulky. BIG mistake! My shoulder and arms got sore because the batter was really thick! I am definitely using the mixer next time.
    The cupcakes still tasted soooo good though.
    Maraming maraming salamat sa recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi DFD,
    Thanks for leaving a comment.
    This cupcake is not particularly a favorite of mine especially pag lumamig, but just for its nostalgic value, I persevered to re-create it in my kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Manang.. I just want to ask something... Base po sa recipe mo po, it was exactly for 2 muffin pans.. I'm just wondering if how many cupcakes each pans.. kasi mron po kasi 6cupcakes each pans and mron bigger pans can make much more cupcakes..

    I just want to know lng po kasi po I plan to try your recipe for my Baking proj. My Tcher told me po kasi na exactly 6cupcakes lng po no more no less..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi bryan,
    There are 12 regular sized muffins for each pan I used here, and this recipe can make 24 pcs. If you use jumbo muffins size of pan, there are 6 in each, so you make total of 12. There are also mini-muffins type of pan which can make 24 each pan, so this recipe will give 48 such mini-muffins (size of coconut macaroons).

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi! manang.
    glad to see you here online. ask ko lang particularly in this recipe. can you use a pre- rising flour? and omit the baking powder. thanks po.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Anonymous, I have not used pre--rising flour in this recipe, but it seems like you can do just as you said - omit baking powder. Please let me know if you did try that and what the outcome was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you po sa recipe..super madali pong intindihin..will try po later..God bless po!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you very much po manang..super patok mga cupcakes sa mga pamangkin ko at sa family ko..nababagay po talaga ang recipe nyo sa katulad kong nagsisimula pa lang magbake..pang professional po ung outcome..Lolz.. God bless po!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Anonymous, Thanks sa feedback. I am glad to hear that it was super patok among your family members. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi manang, I tried this recipe yesterday and its a success w/ my kids, i'm thinking to make this as a sideline business for parties...thanks for sharing♥♥♥

    Alma E.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Alma E. Thanks for your feedback and goodluck on your sideline plans! Please browse other recipes for more ideas on possible sideline businesses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Manang! I just tried the Cheese cupcake and it was a hit. My husband and kid loved them. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anonymous, Thanks for your feedback! It means a lot to me! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. happy new year manang i try to cook cheese cupkeyk while ago but the finish product napakatigas ng lumamig para syang biscuit.anung kulang sa recipe sinunud ko naman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest ba ibalot mo agad sa plastic pag medyo lumamig na (30 minutes maybe) para hindi mag-dry up.

      Delete
  23. Hi manang, pwede ba po ito i-bake using a turbo? Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi manang, yong pg pre-heat po ba ng oven around 350F yon na po ba ung standard heat nya or do i need na bawasan pa yon the moment na ipasok ko na so oven yung cupcakes? thank u po..hope to hear from you soon. gusto ko kc itry yong recipe mo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, yun na ang heat nya. Pero kung gusto mo na mas domed ang ibabaw, pwede mo pa i-preheat ng 425 then once maipasok mo na sa oven, ibaba mo na sa 350.

      Delete
  25. Hello,

    I just recently discovered your blog while I was looking for a good cheese cupcake recipe and yours are definitely worth trying. I just have a couple of questions:
    - what is the typical yield of this recipe ? How many cupcakes?
    - is there any way that the condensed milk can be reduced? Will this turn out to be very sweet?

    Thanks!
    Benj

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your blog post is by far the best I have read from you. I've never seen a blog post more wonderful than this. Thank you. Since clicking speed is a vital factor when playing games, the Click Counter Test discovers how many times you can click. Read What are the benefits of the click per second Counter? Essentially, CPS programs, record the number of times a user has clicked.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts