Marcato Biscuits (Cookies)


I bought a cookie press sometime last year, foreseeing some cookie-making for cookie swap come Christmas...but in the busy-ness of the Holidays, I did not actually get to practice with my new gadget until after Christmas.

The motivation I had to get myself a cookie press was when hubby previously commented on lengua de gato that made me recall this neat gadget which my Nanay used to have (although I never actually saw her use it).

I got one that I realized now is too pricey, it seems, as I perused amazon.com for the same item. (Probably, amazon did not have the $14.99 at the time I purchased mine).  But I guess,  with this price and the good reviews as to how sturdy it is, I think I made a good choice nevertheless. Just out of curiosity, I got myself this $14.99 to see if it is the same sturdy construction. Then I will update you readers who might be interested to get it.

My first cookies were overbaked, tough, and brown.  I let hubby try one and he suggested I bake them for a shorter time. He then liked the ones baked only up to the point that edges start to turn brown.  I also had to get used to pumping out the dough, and to try not greasing the baking sheet. Probably oven temps and environmental conditions and baking pan differences accounted for my initial results despite following the recipe in the manual.  After I adjusted the baking time and omitted greasing the baking sheets (I used insulated nonstick aluminum), my hubby now has a new favorite homemade cookie. He can finish a whole batch in two days. (Sadly, my kids and I are not that crazy over this; we like the lengua de gato better.)

This is the first recipe I will post for cookie press.

Basic dough recipe:

500 g (~ 1 lb) flour
250 g (~1/2 lb) sugar
250 g (~ 1/2 lb or 2 sticks) butter
pinch of salt
2-3 oz milk
3 egg yolks

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F and place the rack at the middle.

Melt the butter in the microwave for about a minute and stir; set aside in room temp. Place the flour into a bowl mixing it with the sugar and a pinch of salt. Pour the egg yolks in the center and mix the dough with a fork. Add the butter previously melted, then the milk, and knead with your hands until completely uniform and soft.




Coming up is another recipe that I and the kids preferred, but my husband likes ok (he still prefers the more dense recipe above).

Comments

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I bought my mom a cookie press for Christmas, so I will tell her to try out this recipe! She also tried out your mamon and sweet&sour tilapia recipe - they were yummy!

    I was wondering if you had an embutido recipe? I'd like to try making it. I tried looking through your blog and did a search. It found something, but I don't think it was it?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look soooo good, Manang!! very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edeline,
    You might like the next recipe better, because this dough was too tough for me (I had to use my whole body to squeeze it out of the press). The second one I used was very light and airy, not only was it easier to squeeze out, I liked munching on it better as well (it was like butter/sugar cookies).

    MaMely,
    Only my husband and stepd are the big fans of this recipe in our family. My boys and I like the second recipe better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this, I thought of buying a cookie press. But I'm holding off since I don't have any plans of preparing something that would require a cookie press :) Surprisingly, our Office gifted me with a Wilton Cookie Press (for helping in our ISO certification)! Now, I am thinking of using the cookie the press and bring some cookies in the office. Sana sa susunod set of pans (for tiered cakes) naman...hehehehe :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts