Spinach and Feta Cheese Chicken Rolls

I have a co-worker who is a foodie as well, although not a foodblogger.
From Spinach & Feta Cheese Chicken Rolls
She shared with me this spinach and feta cheese chicken rolls recipe that was a hit with her husband (who seems to be the non-adventurous type as well). I tried it, and it was a hit with my family as well. Quite laborious and time-consuming, but definitely easy to make. And the taste? Cheesy-heavenly! Definitely good for a special family weekend dinner.

A note for newbies: "butterflied" only means that you make slices on the thick meat to make it have flaps on the sides (imagine yourself with your arms hugging your body, then open your right arm, and then the left, that is the kind of "movement" you want to observe in making the slices here) so that you end up with thinner meat and wider surface area, making layering and stuffing easier.

Ingredients:
5-6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
baby spinach (fresh)
1 pkg (8-oz) cream cheese
6-8 oz feta cheese (crumbled)
1/2 tsp dried basil
Deli Ham slices
egg+milk mixture
bread crumbs*

*Instead of bread crumbs, I had this unopened plastic pack of Club crackers flavored buttery garlic (a box contains about 3 plastic packs of them) which had been sitting on the bar countertop for probably a month now (I was in a temporary addiction to them until we got tired of eating them), so I thought that would add flavor. I placed them in the chopper, and added Italian seasoning. My husband particularly said the crumbs coating tasted good.

Directions:
Pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick. Mix cream cheese, feta cheese, and dried basil together spread over chicken. Put one layer of spinach on top of cheese followed by 1 slice of ham. Roll chicken and secure with a toothpick. Dip in egg+milk mixture, roll in breadcrumbs, and put in greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 375 deg F for 30-35 minutes or until done.

I happened to have just 4 big breasts and there were 5 of us. Although I was sure my husband, stepdaughter, and I could not eat a whole breast, I cooked shrimps in addition just as a backup.

I served these with the remaining baby spinach and scalloped potatoes.

Comments

  1. happy bersdey Manang K(tama ba 'ko?)!!!!

    ok ba kahit sariwa ang spinach, di na kelangang igisa o steam?

    something about the combination of spinach and feta ano, ang sarap!

    hope you have a sweet celebration:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ay bilib naman ako sa sister blogger ko, natatandaan ang bdey ko! kakagaling naming mag-asawa sa date...tapos pinagluto nya ako ng lasagna...thanks sa bati!

    ok yung spinach ke baby or not, cooked or fresh. But I like the baby better if fresh. Sarap nga yung feta+spinach combi. ACtually first time ko ma-try yung feta with this recipe...mukhang ok gamitin sa ensaymada kesa mag-grate ng cheddar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manang,

    Just to double check, do I need cream cheese fot this recipe? I love your site! I just got married and just starting to learn how to cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for catching the missing cream cheese ingredient list! Yes you need that aside from feta cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts