Barley-Rice Porridge (Arroz Caldo with Barley)

It's snowing...It is during these days that I crave for comfort foods such as lugaw (aka congee or rice porridge).
From Barley-Rice Porridge (Arroz Caldo with Barley)

I once brought to work a canned beef and barley soup, and it was my first time to have a taste of barley. It looks pretty much like rice, only chewey, sort of rubbery in a nice way. I had the idea of adding it in arroz caldo. As I was browsing through Julie's blog, I found out I was not the only one who had the same idea. This version, indeed, makes for a healthier lugaw.

I used chicken necks which I packed in 6's for use in broths or lugaw.
Ingredients:
From Barley-Rice Porridge (Arroz Caldo with Barley)

chicken necks (of course, feel free to use your choice of cuts)
2 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb-size (or 2) ginger, sliced
1 cup rice
1/2 cup barley
5 cups (or more) water
salt and pepper to taste

optional toppings:
spring onions
crushed chicharon
sliced hard-boiled egg
toasted minced garlic
Procedure:
On medium heat, sautee chicken in oil to brown; add garlic and ginger until fragrant. Sprinkle salt and pepper and continue browning chicken for about 2 minutes. Add rice and barley and stir well. Add water. Turn heat to high to boil, then cover and simmer for about two hours, stirring from time to time. Add water to desired consistency, if needed.

Season with more salt and pepper to your liking. Sprinkle some lemon if desired. Top with crushed chicharon and spring onions (optional).

Comments

  1. It really is time for lugaw again, even down here. I usually make this for new year's eve snack but I just make it before then now that you reminded me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, that's also how I discovered barley. Now, I add it to my monggo soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manang, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a warm note.

    I am enjoying your site immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isang tasa nga Ate hehehe magkano po? hmmm sarap itong lugaw mo specially nitong malamig na weather. Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyn! Libre para sa yo! Ginaw ngayon, sarap na naman maglugaw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. comforting foods, i miss my mom arroz caldo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts