Homemade Mayonnaise


The past week I had too many unused egg yolks because I was in a recent frenzy to make sans rival. I made one for MIL's birthday, and again for my friend Anna's birthday. Recently I made one to bring to work for a farewell party for a co-worker. At the end of all these, I was left with 15 egg yolks. Made some cinnamon rolls, some spanish bread...and I looked for other ways to use them.

I was gonna make potato dill salad (not related to yolk use), when I chanced upon a blog post about homemade mayonnaise. Hmmmm....maybe I should make some mayonnaise too...it would be nice to know how to. Hubby has never had homemade mayo. So I made one using two recipes. I tried one by chichajo of 80breakfasts. I think using the blade of my food processor did not give me the same consistency she got with her emulsifying disc. Mine came out very thick. I also used two egg yolks instead of one whole egg, so that probably also accounted for the thick consistency. The other recipe I used was from Kitchen Aid "Great Baking and More" recipe book, and the consistency was much better, and got approval from hubby. I do not really detect much difference in the taste. However, for the KA recipe, I used 1 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 cup vegetable oil. I am posting here KA's recipe. Please refer to chichajo's blog post for hers. I asked my hubby to try both, and he preferred the KA recipe better.

I really could not appreciate the homemade mayonnaise plain. I mean, I don't even enjoy regular store-bought mayonnaise as is. So as soon as done, I went ahead with the potato dill salad. When I made the salad, I tried tasting the whole ensemble, and I had to agree...homemade is much better.

Potato dill salad coming up in my next post (this is different from the one I posted years ago).

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
2 cups oil (vege oil plus extra virgin)
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar

Instructions:


Place egg yolks in a mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to Speed 10 and whip about 3 minutes, or until yolks are stiff and pale yellow.

Reduce to speed 8 and slowly add 1 cup oil, a teaspoon at a time, in a thin stream. If mixture becomes too thick, thin with a little lemon juice. Carefully add remaining oil in a slow, steady stream until completely absorbed.

Reduce to Speed 6, add lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, and vinegar, and whip just until blended. Store mayonnaise in refrigerator.

Comments

  1. pwede pala yun noh... thanks for sharing doc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you manang for sharing this recipe. I must try this one of these days. More power to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chubskulit and MaMely,
    You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe! I've been wanting to make homemade mayo - I've already made a ketchup and I also want to try making my own mustard. This is perfect for when you need some but don't want to buy a whole jar! (I only use mayo when I make BLT sandwiches and potato salad.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing your recipes..they're are of great help especially nowadays...they're budget saving.God Bless :)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts