Potato Dill Salad

When I was still in PI, I used to have potato salad with shreds of chicken breast added to the potatoes, spiced with chopped onions, and the taste adjusted with salt and pepper.

Now I have embraced what my husband's family of origin traditionally prepares. Potato dill salad is usually served on July 4th, and is now commonly found in our menu during summer days when it is too hot to have a hot meal, especially after harvesting our own potatoes that we planted.

The red potatoes are usually the first (we also plant Russett(?) potatoes which we harvest later in the fall). They are smaller but more compact and yummy! For me, they are the best to use for potato salads as they do not easily crumble, and they retain their shape better when stirred. They are also very good for mashed potatoes, but they don't create fluffy mashed potatoes -- just sticky and creamy, like that served in KFC here (as commented by my older son's friend once).

This potato salad is not the same as the potato salad I used to have back in PI, where we add shreds of boiled chicken breasts, chopped onions, mayonnaise, salt and pepper to the chunks of boiled potatoes.

Here in Maine I had to prepare it the way my husband's family would eat it; otherwise, I will end up eating the salad by myself. Anyhow, I have developed a taste for the dill, which gives the distinct flavor of this recipe. When I first made it, I cut the potatoes in bigger chunks, but hubby requested to make them smaller next time, to enhance absorption of the flavors.

Here's the recipe as passed on by my MIL:

Ingredients:

10 red potatoes, boiled with some salt, peeled and sliced (approximately 2x1 inch cubes)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp grated onion
1 tsp dill
salt and pepper to taste
sliced hard-boiled eggs as topping

I added a sprinkle of lemon.

Instructions:
Boil the potatoes in water enough to submerge them, add some salt and boil for about 30 minutes or until done (check with fork). Once done, drain and peel as soon as cool enough to handle. (I have tried putting them in the fridge prior to peeling, and it was not a good idea! They were harder to peel that way!).
Add all other ingredients. Taste. Adjust ingredients according to your taste preference.
Chill for at least 3 hours. Top with sliced eggs.

Hubby wants it chilled overnight for his work lunch, and wants it even more when 3 days have passed. It will suffice for lunch, but for a heavy supper, I serve it usually with salad greens and grilled chicken (my Wish-Bone Robusto-marinated recipe).






Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts