Chocolate Oat Cookies

I got this recipe (original name Double Chocolate Oat Cookies) from a booklet sampling of favorite brand recipes. However, when I made this the first time, I found it too soft/gooey, although very good. So the second time I made it, I used the one on the internet, but that gave me very tough and dry cookies. So this time, I resorted back to the first one I used, but I doubled the amount of oats (which makes it healthier, doesn't it? Ok, ok, at least I have less guilt with this choco-laden recipe), and I got the consistency and taste that I expected.

Kids and hubby love these cookies, and so do I.

Ingredients:
2 cups swemisweet chocolate chips, divided in two
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose-flour
1-1/2 cup Quaker Oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (optional)

Instructions:
Heat oven to 375° F. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in small saucepan; set aside.
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
Stir in melted chocolate, egg, and vanilla.
Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix this with the liquid ingredients.
Stir ini remaining chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto parchment sheet placed on cookie sheets (I used a cookie scoop).
Bake 8-10 minutes or just until set (Do not overbake. Centers should look soft.)
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Comments

  1. Manang,
    Mukhang masarap yung cookies mo.
    I love the soft and chewy version - the kind that melts in your mouth. I never really cared for rock-hard cookies.
    I made a similar recipe which I found at the back of my Robin Hood rolled oats, but I may want to try yours one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, sharon and claire, maybe you would like the original recipe which had 3/4 cup of oats. Very moist and soft and gooey...just a tad of crispiness on the surface, then your teeth suddenly sink into the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manang,
    Well...I did make these cookies over the weekend. I halved the recipe, kasi dalawa lang kami, and scaled back on the 2nd batch of chips. My oh my, it was so good. And the texture was just right.
    I did cheat a little. I had to add some milk (less than 1/4 cup) because the batter was kinda thick. So I let them bake for an extra 2 minutes because of that extra ingredient.
    I'll be making them again. Couldn't get over the taste. They weren't overly sweet - you know that feeling when sugar seems lodged in your throat forever? The sweetness of these cookies was subtle. My brother devoured them. Kaya ubos na.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe - it's a keeper!
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sharon,
    maybe I should try adding some milk as well the next time I make these...they dried up quickly because of the dry air this time of the year (winter here gets the air really really dry, and maybe too our heating system in the house tends to dry it up more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate oats cookies, so healthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi manang! you think it would be okay if i used white chocolate chips? That's all I have at the moment.. would it be too sweet? and If i added milk how much should i put?thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marjorie,
    You can (I usually do that in other chocolate chip cookies. I don't think it would be too sweet. You may Sharon did above). Depends on how dry your air is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts