Chicken Inasal




I recently tried the chicken inasal recipe from overseaspinoycooking.com. I never really knew how it tasted like. I know there was one Chicken Inasal outlet somewhere in Makati that I tried eating it, but was not too impressed (still preferred the lechon manok from Andok's or Baliwag, and one in Manila which seemed owned by a Japanese (superb herb and brine flavors! I would only get the chance to buy from them when I had to go home to Bulacan from a station near Jose Reyes hospital.)

But I remember one of my friends who is now located in this state and found me through this foodblog had chicken inasal and she recommended this recipe. I probably should have used more marinade, or marinated longer. I also goofed because when I had to boil the marinade before grilling, I mistakenly added soy sauce when there should not be (too much inclination for me to do things this way when making barbecue of anything). It was good, but only kinda skin-deep, so next time I am gonna make more marinade and will probably leave them in the fridge for more than overnight.

I did use annatto oil per MaMely's recipe. I had to try twice because I burnt the first. When she said simmer, she meant simmer! As in, start and keep the heat on low; not boil then lower to simmer. Haha! Now I got a whole cup of it in an 8-oz canning jar without seeds (take note, MaMely!)

Thanks to both foodbloggers!

UPDATE:
Because I was not too satisfied with the outcome of the recipe I initially tried, I googled it again. Found one at Market Manila but no recipe; just ingredients. Well, I do not like guessing when it is my first time to cook something. For something I have cooked many times before, I can cook without measuring (the measurements here in my recipes are often approximate, and given here for the sake of the newbie cooks who might want to try my recipes).

Reading the comments under MM's post, I came across this one particular comment which got me intrigued, so next time I am gonna try it:

Here’s 1 foolproof delish inasal recipe I have been following eversince I got this from the free recipe booklet of Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce:

1 whole chicken,(approx.1kg), quartered
6 stalks lemongrass, white part pounded
1/2 tsp chopped ginger
1/3 cup annatto oil
1 cup soda(sprite)
2 tbsps tamarind paste or juice
1/3 cup tamarind leaves, washed
3 tbsps chopped garlic
3 tbsps lea and perrins worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tbsps patis
1 tsp pepper
Place all ingredients in a bowl and marinate for at least 25 mins. Transfer in a pan and bring to a boil to cook chicken for about 15 mins.Remove chicken and simmer stock for another 15 mins.Strain and reserve stock for grilling.
Cook chicken over hot charcoal and brush frequently with the reserved stock.Cook just until chicken has burn marks.Serve with sinamak or spiced vinegar.
To make sinamak, put red chilies, garlic, peppercorns, ginger and onions in a bottle.Fill with vinegar and let the flavors infuse for at least 8 hours.Serve with grilled chicken.

I never go wrong with this recipe and am always ensured with a thoroughly cooked, moist and flavorful chicken!Sometimes I omit the tamarind leaves when not available and just increase a tbsp of the tamarind paste/juice or even use sinigang powder and it’s still the same flavor! Try it! Thanks to that free booklet of recipes!


Another recipe shared this time by Emeriza D.

Manang..heres my recipe of chicken inasal originally from my cousin sa bacolod.. hope you like it. I preffered po na grilled sya.. but okay din ang baked po.

*Whole chicken (cut into serving portions)
i rub nyo po ng salt..and leave it for 30-40 min.
then pour vinegar, lots of garlic (2 head) and lots of ginger..(pinoy suka po) enough to cover the chicken lng po (soak it for 1-2 hours lng po para di maluto sa suka)

Mag gisa po kayo ng luya and bawang at dinikdik na lemon grass po damihan ng mantika ( yun po yung i spread nyo sa chicken while cooking it) atsuete powder for coloring and salt to taste

pagtapos pong ibabad yung chicken, tusuktusukin para ma sure na papasok lasa ng ginisa mixture

ihaw lng po...

then sa sawsawan po... Kalamansi, toyo at suka, little amount of sugar to balance the taste.

yung pinaggisahan po ng pan... pwede pong dun mag gawa fried rice.

Comments

  1. Hi Manang, Aside from the lemongrass, margarine is another essential ingredient for a good chicken inasal. Good luck on your next try…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ut-man,

    I did use margarine also (what I have here is the "I can't believe it's not butter" brand). Maybe I should have used more marinade, less marinating time (after I read more about tips online, mostly suggesting 1 hr).

    I am not ready to give up. I will try this again as soon as I get another batch of tanglad (not in the grocery stores at present. My plant already died.) There is a reason why inasal is popular, so I will try to get to that level where I myself is satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manang,
    Ano puede i-substitute sa tamarind paste or juice ksi am sure wala yan dito sa Japan. Paki e-mail nlang reply pls.

    Thanks in advance.

    Leah (pooh1482001@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts