White Bread


I once asked my hubby (knowing how he loves having "traditions" in the family) that if he would have to choose what bread to have for a meal, what would it be. "Give me either whole wheat bread or white bread and I'll be happy."

Well, I have not really made white bread (thinking it was too boring and basic), and I personally preferred basic egg bread and buttery sweet bread over white bread. White bread would be the equivalent of pan de americana (or what we referred to as "Tasty" bread in the Philippines) so I have somehow subconsciously equated it to the commercial white bread that I never considered making it at home...until that conversation with hubby. We all liked it, and despite it being baked in the bread machine itself, it had a nice crunchy yet soft crust.

Ingredients: from breadworld.com

1-POUND LOAFINGREDIENTS1-1/2-POUND LOAF
2/3 cup
4 tsp
3/4 tsp
2 cups
3 tbsp
1 tbsp
1-1/2 tsp
water
butter or margarine
salt
bread flour
nonfat dry milk powder
sugar
bread machine yeast
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp
2 tbsp
1 tsp
3 cups
1/4 cup
4 tsp
2 tsp


Instructions:

Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.

Recommended cycle: Basic/white bread cycle; medium/normal color setting. Timed-bake feature can be used.


Nutritional Information:
Per Serving:
Serving size: 1 slice (1 / 12 of recipe)
Serving weight: 2 ounces (58 grams0
Calories 150; Total fat 2.5 g; Saturated fat 1.5 g; Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 220 mg; Carbohydrates 27 g; Dietary fiber less than 1 g; Sugars 3 g; Protein 5 g


Share

Comments

  1. Kia ora,
    I like this. Instead of milk powder, I use butter-milk powder, which makes for a softer, lighter texture. Have you got this bread recipe w/ an egg?

    I am interested in butter bread tho as my Swiss friend used to make fresh bread ea morning for her family. She used a large, sturdy cake mixer to knead the doughs. Butter bread was delicious.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like eggy and sweet breads, too, but I basically love any kind of bread! Since I don't bake 'by hand', I appreciate this bread machine recipe. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ngaitakoto,
    You got me curious about the buttermilk. I have made old-fashioned buttermilk bread before and you are right that the texture is so light. I even tried using it on making pandesal. I have nto tried buttermilk powder, though. I should, and thanks for the idea!

    Re butter bread, can your friend share her recipe for it?

    TN,
    I am actually more partial now to bread machine recipes, and I usually change recipes so I can make use of the BM instead. It is just more convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi manang! i love your recipes! i like to make this bread kaso wala ako bread machine.. can i make this bread manually? and meron po ba pede substitute sa dry milk powder kasi wala po ako nun eh.. salmat po:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. joy,
    you can make this manually. Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well at the center, place wet ingredients in the well, room temp, dapat. start mixing my hand or wooden spoon from center, gradually mixing in the dry ingredients at the side. Knead as necessary to form a smooth dough and let rest for about 10 minutes. Tapos i-shape mo na into loaf and let rise until doubled. Bake sa conventional oven about 350 deg F maybe around 30-45 minutes (tantyahin mo na lang at bantayan para di masunog at wag maunderbake). Tap the top; if it is hollow sounding, done na. You can try to substitute buttermilk powder (baka mas masarap pa). Wala bang Nido na powdered milk? Kahit siguro hindi non-fat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi manang! thank you po! i'll make this bread po as soon as i can! :) yun po pala dry powdered milk hehe.. meron po dito hehe.. salamat po manang! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi ate thank you you already answered my question. I have the same question with joy. i want to try this tasty bread too bu i dont have bread machine. i really love your site nakaka addict! hehehe. sabi tuloy ng husband ko ang gastos ko daw kasi bake ako ng bake. bago lng kasi kami dito sa US so di pa ako nkakapg provide ng mga gamit. dumating kami dito nung september my husband is a teacher here. so everything i made i did it manuaally buti nlng ever ready ka to have a manual procedure. thank you talaga. i tried your pandesal, supersoft ensaymada, pichi-pichi spanish, pan de coco and i'm proud kahit manual lng i made it right! so anybody who will find your site i can say they are soooooo lucky. this site has an encouragement to made me bake and bake, cook and cook. Yung ibang site kasi with recipe parang may mga kulang sa ingredients so minsan you can't get the right output. Blessed you ate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous,
    Baka me photos ka, I can feature you in my Reader's Gallery :)
    Thanks for letting me know about what you have tried among my recipes.
    Maswerte nga hubby mo he never had to miss these tinapays! Subukan mo wag mag bake ng 1 month, tingnan natin kung hindi nya hanapin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried 10 different bread recipes and this recipes is the BEST! I added one egg and boy its like the fresh bread i can buy at my local store. this will be my go to recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so delicious. I enjoyed eating bread during breakfast. this is definitely a must try for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts