Sinigang na Bangus (Milkfish in Sour Soup) with Cucumber and Cabbage

From sinigang na bangus

I cooked this sinigang na bangus one summer day when I had too much cucumbers and we (my family) have been getting sick of having cuke slices every supper, and I had made all the pickles I wanted to make. I just experimented cooking the cucumbers and as I envisioned, it went very well with sinigang na bangus, perfect replacement for eggplant or radish. It absorbs the tamarind flavor of the soup really well.





Ingredients:
1 big milkfish (probably 1$1/2 to 2 lbs), cleaned and degutted
enough water to cover (probably about 5 cups or more, adjust when you have placed the fish already)
1 big onion, cut in half
3-5 tomatoes, cut in half
5 black peppercorns
about 2-3 tbsp sliced ginger
1 packet tamarind flavoring (or less, if you don't like it too sour)
salt to taste
cabbage (about 1/4 head)
2-3 cucumbers cut into wedges/chunks

Instructions:
Boil water with ginger, onion, peppercorns, 1 tsp of salt and tomatoes for at least 15 minutes or until tomatoes are really really macerated and soup is reddish already (this maximizes the flavor of tomatoes in the soup and adds sourness as well).

Add tamarind flavoring to your taste. Add fish and let simmer on mod low heat for 5 minutes. Add veggies and let simmer uncovered for additional 5 minutes or until veggies are done. Season with salt as necessary (I just sprinkle patis later on when eating.)

Enjoy with plain rice. Love the effect of cukes here.

Comments

  1. Another of my husband's favorite - sinigang! I've only made it with haddock so far but I'll be picking up bangus (only frozen) and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the cabbage Manang? Wasnt it too strong for sinigang?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TN,
    My kids are not too fond of the fish bones, but I make them learn how to eat bangus without getting stuck in the throat with fish bones.

    Beancounter,
    I have always used cabbage in sinigang, and I never found it too strong. But then I just half-cook it. I can't stand the taste and texture of overcooked cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sinigang, Manang. Might try your version (I've always used string beans and spinach and talong) as it's a refreshing change. Sometimes, pag ti-natamad ako, I use Mama Sita sinigang mix. Not bad at all for a packaged mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous,
    Lucky you, you've got access to string beans!
    I use also Mama Sita's or Knorr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm this is interesting to try, cucumber in sinigang.. looks yummy at nakakagutom..hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts