Egg (Custard) Pie

Egg Pie
Filipino Egg Pie with Graham Crust
I first came across the recipe of CeliaK (God bless her!) that looks like the traditional egg pie back in PI -- custard with dark brown topping. So, getting the ideas from her recipe, I tried mine with some variations to save time (using graham crust instead of making my own pie crust; I rarely have the time nowadays because of work) and use up some of the ingredients in my pantry given by relatives (i.e., honey). If you are interested in making your own graham cracker pie crust, I have copied and pasted a recipe down below.

My first attempt created that dark brown but too spongy topping, and I wanted the top thinner, and I wanted the custard sweeter (guilty of having a sweet tooth!). But in wanting to see how my in-laws would receive it (my husband is hopeless), I did not make the top dark, but golden brown. Now, my SIL is a very opinionated person who cares not a bit if you will like what she is gonna say or not, but when she got her first bite of this egg pie, her comment was: "Oh my God, this is to die for!!!" and helped herself to a second serving.

My MIL raises chicken layers so we could get the freshest eggs, and right now she gets 18 eggs a day! What to do? Give us some, and sell the rest. In return, I try to make this egg pie or leche flan, which she and FIL both love (makes me wonder why my hubby does not).

Here is my final recipe (my kids like the leche flan better, though):

Ingredients (good for one pie)

Keebler's Graham Crust (with 2 extra servings - see slide show below)
2&1/3 cup milk
1 beaten egg for brushing the crust (the excess goes into the mixture)
3 eggs Plus 1 yolk
1 egg white
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1&1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
2. Place the crust onto a baking pan/cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg. and bake for 5 minutes. (This procedure is actually found under the label.)
3. Meanwhile, combine the rest of the ingredients (except the 1 egg white) in a blender using pulse setting.
4. Pour the excess beaten egg (from step 2) into the mixture that you are gonna prepare.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
6. Using a wire whisk, cut the egg white into the mixture by gentle mixing until just a thin layer of egg white floats.
7. Increase the oven temp setting to 400 deg F and immediately take out the crust and pour the custard mixture into it and fill to capacity.
8. Bake immediately for 15 minutes then lower the temp to 290 deg F and bake for 30-60 minutes more (depending on how many pies you are making; you kind have to keep watching). When the middle part is a bit wiggly like soft jelly, take the pie out (don't when it seems liquidy still). [If you do not bake right away after pouring the custard onto the crust, the custard starts disintegrating the crust and you will see the custard impregnated with graham cracker. I have done that!]
(EDITED- removed the confusing extra lines - thanks to Teresa for her query!
EDITED again12/06/07 because I noticed my step-by-step instructions were not too clear, thanks to Dona's query. I think was busy SingSnapping while making this post...lol!)


This is a great Christmas give-away idea for your Filipino friends!

Graham Cracker Pie Crust recipe from Southernfood.
This crust is simple to make, and may be used for a 9-inch pie or cheesecake.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 10 minutes
Here's How:

1. In a small saucepan or the microwave, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.
2. Place about 24 graham crackers in a plastic bag. Roll with a rolling pin until finely crushed. This may be done in small batches.
3. Measure 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs into a medium bowl.
4. Add 1/4 cup of sugar to the graham crackers.
5. Add the melted butter.
6. Stir or blend together with your hands.
7. Press into the pie plate or other pan.
8. To pre-bake the pie crust, bake for 8 to 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F. oven.

Comments

  1. Hi Manang! nice to see you posting again. I just copied the recipe so I can make your egg pie today, but I'm a little confused on the addition of numbers 8 and 9. Did you mean to increase the temperature again to 400 degree F after baking the pie at 290 degree F for 45- 60 minutes? If so, how many more minutes do I need to bake at 400 degree F? Thanks and wish your family a wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi teresa!
    Thanks for pointing it out. I might have started typing those #s and then went back up to change previous step instructions then forgot about the #8 that I started. Anyway, I have deleted those confusing lines. And added some more notes on the last step.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MAnang! I tried your recipe today but unfortunately it didnt turn out like yours.. hehe!! I even baked it more than an hour kasi the top won't brown.. Do you think i need to increase the temp? I used 290F. And how do you make the top thinner? Thanks Manang! I'm glad to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dona,

    First when you are already folding the beaten eggwhite into the custard mixture, do it like you are cutting the eggwhite with the spatula, until you are almost like mixing it, without using a beater. This way, the top will have almost just one layer (thin layer) of "bubbles" from the broken eggwhite foam. (I am sometimes tempted to use whisk, but afraid all the bubbles might be lost and I will end up without brown top).
    Second, you probably missed the 400 deg T on #7 as you take out the baked crust??? So when you are actually baking the custard itself, the first 15 mins will be 400 deg F, then lower to 290 and bake for further 30 minutes.
    I think 30 minutes at 290 will result in a smoother custard (less holes). f you prolong, it results to cakey consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Manang! wow thanks for the quick reply. I did all that but the folding of egg white.. Ang ginawa ko kasi hinalo ko lang sya with the egg/milk mixture with the hand mixer.Binawasan ko din pala ng honey. Kaya siguro hindi din ganon ka sarap. I'm planning to do it again this week. Sana maging ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi. thanks for the egg pie recipe. may i know what kind of milk did you use? thanks!!! - from veron

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi veron, I used the ordinary hannaford brand whole milk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Manang! I`m planning on trying your egg pie, except I was wondering if this is the same as Custard Pie? Btw, I was also wondering if you know how to make Puto Bungbong? Thanks--Sher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sher,
    Our egg pie is so NOT like the Custard Pie of the Westerners. I just included the word custard in my title because it is basically a variation.

    Sorry I don't know how to make puto bumbong and I don't know where to get the gadget for it. There used to be an online store selling it but I did not purchase, and now I can't remember what site it was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Manang! Thanks for the recipe and I appreciate the pictures para mas madaling sundan ang recipe. By the way, I was trying to look into your filipino custard cake recipe. Nothings coming up. I love those too but unfortunately they're not as accessible to me anymore as they were when I was still in Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi celganda! Welcome to my site. Thanks for the kind words.
    Not sure what is wrong with your browser. maybe you have an unsupported browser? Are you using mozilla or ie? They should be alright. Here is the link to the custard cake, if it helps at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can see the recipe. I'll try doing the egg pie first and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi manang,
    na-try ko na ang recipe. it's really good. di nga lang nag-darken yung top ng pie pero it still tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi cel,
    Maybe you could have prolonged the baking to 20 minutes at 400 deg before lowering to 290 deg. Ako, I like the golden brown look instead of burnt-dark brown loook.
    Pero like you said, it still tasted good and that's what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this recipe is so cofusing i dont got step 7

    ReplyDelete
  17. jessiree,
    Step 7? Ganito: di ba you were browning at 375 deg F the crust painted with egg while you were preparing the custard? You want an initial temperature of 400 deg F once you get the custard inside because you want the top to look brown, so you set the temp to 400, then immediately take out the crust (this way it is still hot as you pour the custard. This will help create a seal at the bottom because somehow the custard cooks as it touches the hot crust). While you are pouring, the oven is already increasing in temp. Once it is 400, ibalik mo na yung pie with the custard para magbrown. pero after 15 minutes, babaan mo na sa 290 deg F so that the custard itself will cook slowly and will be smooth. I hope that clears up your confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Manang,si jayneh po ito,may manual po ba kayung recepie para sa crust dough ng eggpie?dikopo maagilap sa finland yung ready made crust.marami po akong nakitang ready made dough e para sa pizza lang po,paki send naman pong manual recipes about yung dough ng eggpie?tahnk you po!salamat po pala dun sa ask kung shortening sa inyo as per google says.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i know being filipino urself that u will not change anything on ur site after i say this: there is too much going on in ur site it actually slowed down my computer-too much adware w/c results to spyware. thanx anyway-but i just copy & paste ur egg/custard pie. i will try to stay away from ur site. sorry

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello manang,(grabe gusto ko ang site mo)
    im half pilipina and half japanese.im 28 yrs old now.but honestly,hindi alam magluto..when i saw ur site grabe sobrang excited ko talaga. matagal ko na kasi gustong kumain again ng pilipino food like when i was a child.( mga luto ng mama ko)..and i feel i want to learn how to cook starting now.kaya lang i really dont get your instructions..sana meron din pong mga tagalog version..mahal kase ang english lesson dito sa japan eh..heheh thank you..and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmmmmmm it remind me of lecheflan :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello po... tanong kolang po kung pwede lutuin ung eggpie sa microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Anonymous,
    I do not think you will get a good result using microwave. Microwave tends to be too hot and not uniform in cooking especially liquids.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Lady
    I happened to see your blog and it is extremely exquisite and i would like very much to be friend with you. my email add: msy5_usa@yahoo.com
    Regards to you and family
    from MSY
    Florida,USA

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi MSY, Thanks for your comment. I'm currently very busy at the moment tending to my produce from my vegetable garden so I can't email you yet. Feel free to email me at manang.kusinera@gmail.com if you want to start to introduce yourself. I will try my best to reply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing the steps on how to make egg pie.
    realty services

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts