Korean Beef Ribs

This is a reposting from my old kusina...

This is probably the 4th time I have prepared this dish, mainly because my kids and I love it.

I got the recipe from JMom's, which she said she saw in purplegirl's blog. (Thanks to both Pinay bloggers).

Although husband does not like short ribs (he said there is too much work to separate the meat from the bones and fat), I prepare all our beef short ribs using this recipe, with only a little tweaking on my part.

As in the recipe except for the water, I followed these:

Take 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and sprinkle or rub onto the slices and marinade for 10 minutes while getting the rest of the ingredients ready. Mix in a small bowl: 4 garlic cloves crushed and minced, 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, (I omitted the 1 cup water).

But since I do not have a pressure cooker, I opted to slow cook it on high for 4 hours. As I mentioned, I omitted the water, and let the beef cook in its own juice (which also accounts for the shrink in size) until the meat literally falls off from the bone. Then I just thicken the sauce and pour over the beef (omitting the caramelizing part of JMom's method, mainly because we can not prolong the already long cooking hours, plus we can't wait usually (the aroma while it slowly cooks always torture our olfactory centers for hours). If you still have time to caramelize, just place in the oven on high broil then baste with the thickened sauce.

I am thinking of using this same recipe for beef chuck roast instead of the recipe I use for beef pares the next time I have a get-together here at the house.

Comments

  1. Hi Manang Kusinera! I'm cooking Korean beef ribs...When do you add the sugar? After boiling the beef or before? :) I think it's after, want to make sure though...I've been trying your recipes & all have been great! :) Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Anonymous,
    Like I said above (that you probably missed), rub the beef with the sugar first then prepare the rest of the ingredients (so that it is like marinating the beef with the sugar for a short period of time before add the other spices, then cook).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you put the remaining ingredients after the 4 hr slow cooking? if so,how long did u cook it again after pouring the remaining ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anonymous,
    I added them right after I mixed them. I just let the brown sugar marinade the meat while I mixed together the rest of the ingredients. But I poured this mixture over the meat then slow cooked for 4 hours on high. You might want to broil a bit at the end and baste with thickened sauce to give the meat some glaze.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts