Shrimps with Ketchup Sauce


This is one shrimp recipe that I learned to make from my mother, and which my sons love to the max. It is so easy to make, and ingredients are easy to find.

The grocery store here (Hannaford) carries their brand of shrimps packed according to whether they are cooked or not, and according to size. I usually like to get the one labeled "Jumbo E-Z Peel." These shrmps are already deveined. I do not like the cooked ones, or the ones without shell, because for me, the uncooked ones have more flavor. I like those with shell for purposes of flavoring the broth or sauce, although I usually remove the shell before cooking the shrimp, then I just put in a small strainer the shells so I can dip them in the boiling broth (if applicable to the dish I am cooking).

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small can of sliced button mushrooms, drained (optional)
1 pack (1 lb) shrimps

For the sauce, mix well:
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)

Instructions:

Melt the butter in medium heat, then saute the garlic, followed by the mushrooms if using, then the shrimps.

As soon as the shrimps start turning pink, add the sauce mix and cook further until sauce thickens or the shrimps are completely cooked, stirring frequently. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper as needed. If it turns out too dry too fast, add small increments of water (by tablespoons).

Spoon onto a dish and serve with hot plain rice.

Comments

  1. hi manang. i'll so glad that you're posting again though I chanced upon your blog only recently. ininspire mo kong magstart din ng garden when we move to our new home athough wala akong alam sa gardening. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jaden,

    dahil sa post mo, I was inspired to post in my hardin. check it out.

    you might also want to check out my new website http://manangkusinera.ws

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, mare! back to blogging ka pala. that's good. take a break from work once in a while, di ba? ako din, back to blogging but after i've unpacked my the unbelievable amount of stuff i've accumulated from manila. sige, cook and blog tayo ulit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. manang, the shrimp! mukhang napakasarap, i might be able to persuade my panganay to have shrimp.

    thanks for the links, will study them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Manang!! I'll have to go check out your garden pics. I think of you every time I go in mine. Wish we had as big a garden as yours :-)

    The shrimps look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts