Summer Squash Zucchini Stir-Fry


I have been having cravings for veggies lately because I feel heavier...I need to cut down on fats and meat, and instead stuff myself up with more fiber and vitamins.

If I were in the Philippines and someone asked me what this was, I would have answered, "ginisang gulay" or "lutong bahala na," but I am posting it anyway in my blog, with a more appropriate name. Actually, both summer squash and zucchini are categorzed into "summer squash," in contrast with winter squash, where butternut squash (and other hardy varieties) would fall into, the kinds that keep good in the pantry. This is so easy and good, even my kids love it. I just got about an ounce of meat thinly sliced off a frozen steak which I later on cooked as bistek tagalog (which reminds me, I have not posted a recipe here for bistek!).

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
1-2 oz thinly sliced beef (or whatever meat or seafood; added for flavor) - optional
1 stalk celery, cut in half longitudinally then cut into small cubes
1/2 each of red and green bell peppers (I used frozen ones), diced
1 zucchini, cut in wedges
1 summer squash, cut in wedges (the longitudinal one like zucchini, but you may want to use the sunburst?-like type)
3 tbsp Kikkoman stir-fry sauce (or to taste)
dash of pepper

Instructions
Heat wok on medium for about 5 minutes. Add butter until clarified. Stir-fry beef for 1 minute. Add celery and bell peppers and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the summer squash and zucchini. Stir fry for bout 2-3 minutes. Add stir-fry sauce and stir. Season with pepper.

Serve on plain rice.

Comments

  1. Just watching the slideshow of your page is making me hungry. I love zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ano sa tagalog ang zuccinie or summer squash?

      Delete
    2. Unknown, I don't think we have a counterpart for zucchini or summer squash in the Philippines, but I think the closest in consistency might be upo, although zucchini is more spongy, while upo is more smoothly solid.

      Delete
    3. What about cucumber?

      Delete
    4. Unknown, Cucumber will be too watery for this dish.

      Delete
  2. I love zuchinni just even steamed or nuked. I can't get Z to eat these type of vegies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "lutong bahala na" is so funny...hehehe my hubby also does this a lot and when i ask him what it is, he simple shrugs and says some made-up name... hehehe :)

    Pero now that you put in a name...your dish sounds sosyal na...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi joops and rose! Are you enjoying your trip in the Philippines? Looks like it!

    Ebie, I can't get my husband and stepd to eat these veggies either...buti na lang karamay ko sons ko...

    Zriz, belated happy birthday ha! Pag sosyal na ba ang pangalan ng veggie dish, would you consider eating????hehe...

    Hi Bharat, welcome to my site and thanks for dropping a note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lutong bahala na almost always turns out good even better than coking by the book!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a light and healthy dish, but also really flavorful. I like the inclusion of a small portion of beef, just enough to add flavor and a little heartiness. Thanks for sharing this, and I look forward to seeing your bistek recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so yummy, new recipe, ty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arlene Larsen2/03/2012 1:30 AM

    hello manang, can i add butoon mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene Larsen2/03/2012 1:31 AM

      button mushrooms po pala, sorry

      Delete
    2. Hi Arlene,
      Absolutely! I bet that would even be better!

      Delete
  9. Is it true that zucchini is PATOLA in tagalog? I want to make this one but I don't know zucchini and summer squash tagalog equivalents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi liz, patola is loofah, not the same texture (patola is more fibrous). Zucchini is more like upo, but I love it the most when it is small.

      Delete
    2. Hi! What should we tell the vendor in the local farmers market? or say public market? Zucchini or Upo? But upo is still different from zucchini? Does that mean no tagalog counterpart for Zucchini?

      Delete
    3. I don't see any translation of zucchini in tagalog, zucchini is more slender, perhaps it doesn't have any tagalog translation. Please let me know if it has

      Delete
  10. I think zucchini is more likely patola in tagalog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think zucchini is more likely patola in tagalog, i am very confused. Correct me if i am wront but i think it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts