Strawberry Shortcake

Pardon the lack of art in my photo...

My MIL always makes strawberry shortcake around this time of the year (or even during winter; she just thaws her frozen strawberries). This is the first time I ever attempted making my own. The shortcake is more crumbly and sweeter than hers (hers is like that of scones), but I kinda prefer this one. My older son also likes it better. My younger son, who used to pass up on strawberry shortcakes during family gatherings, felt obliged to eat what I handed to him. I was surprised he actually ate everything and said it was good! My hubby usually just eats the strawberries and whipped cream, leaving behind about 75% of the shortcake, but this time, he ate about 80% of my shortcake. I think I will stick to this recipe for my own tradition-building. (I hope my children will someday remember to look into this website for their favorite recipes.)

I had two quarts of hulled and sliced strawberries freshly picked from my MIL's garden. I sprinkled about 2 cups of sugar and let stand while I prepare the rest. Even though I had two cans of prepared whipped cream, I had to use a homemade one to complement the freshness of the strawberries...nothing beats that! And while some would prefer to use angel food cake for this, I love the old-fashioned biscuit-type shortcake (ain't that what a shortcake is supposed to be???)

Ingredients for the shortcake:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup milk

Instructions:
Heat oven to 450°. Grease an 8-inch round layer-cake pan. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly. Stir in milk until just blended. Pat dough into prepared pan; bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Ingredients for homemade whipped cream:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar (approximate only)
Instructions:

Before you even start on the strawberries and shortcake, chill your mixing bowl and whisk/beater in the freezer. The cold temp helps prevent making butter out of your whipped cream (especially helpful in the summer time).
Start whisking on low going to high, and when starting to form peaks, add the sugar gradually. Stop when firm peaks form.



To assemble:

Divide the shortcake into 8. Slice horizontally. Put some strawberries in between the two halves of the shortcake. Add whipped cream on top of the upper slice. Top with more strawberries and syrup.

Comments

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts