(Chuck Roast) Beef Caldereta

Beef caldereta is another Filipino dish that I found to be very satisfying to the taste buds of my husband. The liver paste makes it special. But I advice the Filipinas not to tell their Western hubbies about that special ingredient.



In this photo veggies listed as optional in the recipe page are not included. I usually don't really plan on any meals. I just keep some ingredients in the pantry and fridge, see what I can come up with them, and voila! I prefer having at least bell peppers in addition, the pineapple chunks my husband does not particularly care for.

In this recipe I used the chuck roast, which is a very tough part of beef, but when slow cooked, is such a deliciously tender delight to the palate!

Other smaller cuts may be used, preferably stewing cuts, but steaks will do as well. However, for such smaller cuts, cooking will require a much shorter time (approximately 3-4 hours for 1 -to 1 1/2 lb less tender cuts, 2 hours for porterhouse, t-bone, cube or minute steak cuts. These can also be cooked on the stovetop (see Sassy's foodblog for Beef Kaldereta).

Thanks to Sassy for tips on using liver paste instead of Reno liver spread (which I can't readily acquire here).

Ingredients:

Chuck Roast (2-3 lbs)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup beef broth or water
3 cloves of garlic
10 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 sm can tomato sauce
1/2 cup beef (adobo) liver paste (liver plus 1 sachet Italian dressing mix)[use Reno liver spread if you have it]
2-3 potatoes
2-3 carrots
salt and pepper to taste

OPTIONAL VEGGIES:
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 small can pineapple chunks

Note: Optional also to add Velveeta or Cheddar cheese (about 2 oz or more according to your taste preference) at the end.


Instructions
:

Place beef broth, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf in slow cooker. Cover and set on low.
Heat oil on high. Brown all sides of the roast. Place inside the slow cooker and cook for 2 hours.

Prepare the veggies while waiting.

After 2 hours, pour tomato sauce on the roast. Add the veggies around the roast. Cook for another 4 hours.

Meanwhile, prepare the liver paste. Cut up cooked liver (I used leftover beef liver adobo) and process in the chopper by pulse. Sprinkle Italian dressing mix and process again until paste-like.

After 4 hours, add the liver paste into the slow cooker, mixing it with the juices. Adjust taste with salt and pepper. Add cheese if preferred.

Comments

  1. Easy on the cholesterol, Manang. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I got to tell you, the picture really looks yummy. In my province, they use goat meat for caldereta and it is equally delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doc Emer!
    What province are you from? Kami nun sa QC where I grew up, my father and his brother would often buy goat and roast it, prepare kilawin, kaldereta,and papaitan (golly! naglalaway ako maalala lang) during birthday celebrations or new year. Masarap talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manang, nakakagutom naman ang mga posts mo. Pareho kayo ni Sassy, tempting lahat. Hay, buhay ng diabetic. Kawawa naman ako. Ang hilig ko pa namang kumain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Manang, its me again Krestine I tried your recipe for Beef caldereta in Slow Cooker and it was so yummy....I cooked it today since its my day off i started at 12pm cooking just in time for dinner and everyone loved it including my picky 6year old son. Thanks again for sharing that wonderful recipe:D God bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Manang, its me again Krestine I tried your recipe for Beef caldereta in Slow Cooker and it was so yummy....I cooked it today since its my day off i started at 12pm cooking just in time for dinner and everyone loved it including my picky 6year old son. Thanks again for sharing that wonderful recipe:D God bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi krestine,
    buti naman at nagustuhan nyo kahit nakalimutan ko i-include yung veggies sa instructions (see? You are not as clueless in the kitchen after all!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you ask a question in the comments and want to receive email for my answer, please click on the option to notify you by email before you hit submit.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to Kusina ni Manang, at paki-klik lang po some gugel adverts. Salamat!

Popular Posts